Guatemala is a country rich in culture and lush nature, inviting visitors to discover attractions and an ancestral, mystical and holistic legacy conducive to the enjoyment of the historical, harmonious, spiritual, natural and experience-rich components of the country’s communities.
These experiences blend well with the cheerfulness and hospitality of the people, who preserve the country’s cultural and natural heritage, traditional knowledge and customs, share their lifestyle, and work in harmony.
Guatemala invites the world to become acquainted with the wealth of its culture and its indigenous people, their vision of the Universe, as well as to enjoy its countless microclimates, landscapes, exuberant richness in its flora and fauna, and to hike trails that offer unparalleled adventures.
This is a country full of diverse, traditional, and unconventional activities that are a part of the socio-cultural dynamics of the indigenous populations in major tourist destinations, fostering a perfect relationship between visitors and the destination itself.
Guatemala displays its tourism destinations for the world to enjoy through an unforgettable adventure in this wonderful country that meets all kinds of expectations, that is surprising and unexpected. Sacred Maya ritual sites, museums, archaeological sites, Colonial architecture of the 16th Century, natural reserves, volcanoes, lakes, rivers, local communities and markets make visiting Guatemala an unforgettable experience.
A large part of the Maya culture, one of the most important cultures in the history of Mankind, with an astounding ancestral legacy of monumental constructions, developed and flourished in Guatemala.
The Maya of the present have preserved the legacy of their ancestors, celebrate their culture and live in harmony with other cultures like the Garífuna, the Xinca and the Mestizo, rich in visions of the Universe and in tradition.
• Garífuna people: they arrived in Guatemala over two centuries ago and most of them live in Izabal. They have their own language, their own cuisine, dress and dance, all worthy of admiration.
• Xinca people: this is one of the non-Maya indigenous people from Guatemala with their own vision of the Universe, their own culture, identity and language. The Xinca people currently speak four languages and live in the departments of Jutiapa, Jalapa and Santa Rosa.
• Maya people: Over three thousand years ago, the Maya people left behind an unmatched legacy of great knowledge which is depicted in the great monuments that we see today. Knowledge in the field of textiles, natural medicine, life dynamics, culinary art, and the Universe is all here.
Maya religious ceremonies take place in sacred sites. Whether natural or man-made, these are vital spaces where cosmic energy comes together with human beings who gather here to communicate with their creator, with the universe, and with their ancestors. Permanent linkages are thus created between human life and the environment. The most outstanding sacred sites are:
– Chicabal lagoon – San Martín Sacatepéquez, Quetzaltenango
– Chicoy Caverns – Purulhá, Baja Verapaz
– Kaj Juyub HIll – Rabinal, Baja Verapaz
– Takaliq A’baj Archaeological park- El Asintal Retalhuleu
– K’umarcaaj sacred site – Quiche
– Belejeb Tzi’ sacred site – Quiche
– Iximche, Tecpán – Chimaltenango
– Kaminal Juyú –Guatemala City
– Mixco Viejo Archaeological Site –Guatemala City
– Quiriguá Archaeological Park – Los Amates, Izabal
– Tikal Archaeological Park– Petén
– Archaeological Site – Ceibal, Petén
– Archaeological Site Ixlu – Petén
– Archaeological Site Ixkun – Petén
– Archaeological Site Uaxantún – Petén
– Yaxhá Archaeological Complex – Petén
– Naj Tunich Caves – Petén
– Archaeological Site – El Mirador, Petén
– Archaeological Site Nakbé – Petén
– Archaeological Site Iximche – Técpan, Chimaltenango
– El Baúl Acropolys – Santa Lucía Cotzumalguapa, Escuintla
– Zaculeu Complex – Huehuetenango
– Quiriguá Archaeological Park– Los Amates, Izabal
Other activities in Guatemala
Guatemala is one of the most modern cities in Latin America and has positioned itself in recent years as a destination for world-class health and wellness tourism services. The wellness services offered are highly competitive and that’s why the country hosts more and more travelers in search of health sanctuaries. This is combined with unique scenarios, providing highly qualified and trained personnel who offer a warm and personalized treatment.
You can enjoy all this surrounded by exotic landscapes of forests of millenary trees that gave rise to advanced civilizations that held strong connections with the universe. You will also enjoy volcanic sand beaches and a privileged climate that allows to experience the scent of flowers, and the aroma of cocoa, coffee and cane to complement the unique sensory experience. All this and more are the experiences that Guatemala’s atmosphere offers in wellbeing.
Some of the services might be:
- Natural hot springs
- Thermal, medical or aesthetic spas
- Specialized yoga and meditation centers
- Complementary medicine such as acupuncture, homeopathy and chiropractic
- Weight reduction procedures with the latest health trends