Capuchinas Convent, Antigua Guatemala

Capuchinas ConventConstructed in 1736, Capuchinas was the last female convent in the city.  Its true name was Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza (Our Lady of the Pillar of Saragossa).

The architectural complex was the work of Diego de Porres, a great architect of Antigua, Guatemala.

The interior highlights a circular patio with arches that mark each of the 18 nuns’ cells.  This section is called the “Torre del Retiro” (Tower of Retreat).

Additionally, there is a second patio, which made up the principal cloister, with a central fountain and arches formed by Tuscan stile columns.


View 360

Contact Us

Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo -INGUAT-

7 av. 1-17 zona 4, Centro Cívico, Guatemala City.
Phone: (502)24212800
Email: info@inguat.gob.gt